Hydrogen-ion concentration in the elements is very useful to find the acidity or alkalinity of an element. To measure this hydrogen-ion concentration, we used a paper which is named PH meter. This paper changes its color and on the basis of the standard set by chemists or biologists for certain elements, we come to know whether an element is an acid or a base. Even though the use of PH meter or method of using it is very simple and even a student of basic science knows it, we need to study and understand this indicator in a little bit more detail. Today, we are going to learn what is PH meter? How is it used? And, what are the different applications and uses of this measuring paper? Let us know begin with our task of a detailed study of the PH Meter.
Introduction to PH Meter and Method of its Use:
PH Meter is a measuring device we measure the PH of an element and it tell us whether that element is base, acid, or neutral. Then there are different scales set by scientific rules to determine this. For instance, if the reading on PH meter is 7 then it is neutral. If it is above 7, then the element is basic and in the case of below 7 then it is acidic. So, this was the measurement criteria or we can say scale for checking the acidity or alkalinity. Now I am going to tell you in few quick steps, the method of doing the PH Meter test. Following are the few quick steps to check the acidity or alkalinity.
Note: In this case, our PH measuring device is PH paper and reason for using it is that it is available in every laboratory in schools, colleges, and even at home.
- First, take a strip of PH paper length of which should be according to the distance from the liquid in the test tube.
- Now dip the paper in the liquid and the paper will start changing its color.
- Now compare the color of the paper strip with the PH meter which has different colors. It tells us the PH number and then we can tell whether an element is acidic or basic.
And this is how we simply use PH meter. Using this device is so easy that even kids from primary school can use it. However, a good understanding of these elements is definitely required.
Uses of PH Meter:
Now we are going to have a look on some of the uses of PH meter including the above mentioned and some others.
- The first use of PH meter is that we determine acidity or alkalinity with the help of this meter. Above mentioned method tells us how we do that and this is the easiest and most common way of finding PH.
- PH meter can also be used to measures the voltages between two electrodes. This is of wide used in the field of electronics. The method for performing this test is a lengthy one and I shall explain that is some other post.
- PH meter can also be sued for the cleaning of a probe. The PH of distilled water is measured before cleaning the probe with it to know acidic or basic properties of distilled water.
So, these were few other uses of the PH Meter. You are going to know more when I update this post in the future.
So, from the basic of PH meter, this was almost everything. You can leave your questions in the comments section also your feedback about this article. Keep visiting our website for more information on different biological tests and keep enhancing your knowledge.