Blood is the most important substance in the human body. It is a fluid present in the living things which is responsible for carrying out many functions including the oxygen supply and nutrients to many living cells in the body. For the detailed study, you can go for different articles in the books and the internet. Today, we are going to talk about the collection of blood. The collection of blood is done for many reasons. To do research in the field of medical sciences, for saving lives in hospitals and blood banks, and much more. Today, we are going to talk about how and why the collection of blood is done? We are also going to teach some known methods in the process. This article will be of great assistance if you are about to do laboratory procedures in the future. Let us begin now.
How to Collect Blood?
In this article, I am going to tell you the easiest method for collecting blood samples and that is Finger stick procedure. This is one of the easiest and most reliable procedure to be done. Follow each and every step in the guide carefully and you shall learn it very well.
Note: Make sure that before collecting the samples, you have a good understanding with the person. Identification of the person and his disease history is very important. Don’t forget to write down his date of birth and other important information which is a major ethic in research. Make sure that you and the equipment you are using is neat and clean. After taking caring of all these things, you can follow the steps given below to collect the blood sample using this method.
Precaution For Taking Blood Sample:
- First, the place on the fingertip must be right to penetrate the skin with a pin. The dominant hand is never a good hand to take the sample.
- Make sure that the 4th finger or 3rd (middle) finger in the point of interest.
- Also, make sure that you do not take it from the soft tissue area which are sides of the fingers. Taking blood from a place closer to the bone will not be right either.
- The last and final place where should be avoided is a damaged finger, rash or every other such place.
- Now put the gloves and massage the finger to get it ready for taking a sample.
Taking a Blood Sample:
- Now take a sterilized pin or lancet puncture the selected area for taking a sample.
- Now the ridges of the finger and then make a perpendicular penetration of the pin.
- Take the sample on the slide and put another to preserve it.
The collection of Blood: Why should it be done?
This should be something very easier to answer especially for medical students. Collecting of blood is done for many purposes and scientific research is one of them. Studying blood helps us making many medicines and also understanding the nature of many diseases. Blood samples are also taken for testing the blood group of people which can be used in the times of need. When you know your blood group, you can donate your blood to an injured person when he needs it. Plus, the blood samples are being taken and used in many scientific endeavors still unknown to common people.
So, this was all from today’s topic which was the collection of blood, how and why it is done? If this article was helpful then don’t forget to leave us your feedback on it. You can ask any question related to the topic. Keep visiting our website All Med Tests for more knowledge about scientific tests and much more.